Monday 4 June 2012

New Diet sort of? Ketosis and Me!

Well everyone I am trying to do something for myself now to make my head aches better.  The doctor put me on Nortriptyline that didn't do very much at all.  I had to go back to the neurologist this last week.  I was very full of hope the last time I left his office but was very quickly knocked back down. 
I got a head ache three days later. 

For the record, when I say headache, I mean a migraine.  I don't mean a headache that you can take two Advil for and have it go away.  When I see the Advil commercials that claim that Advil can fix a headache "Often with one dose"  (I hope that is the right quote.)  I always roll my eyes.  (Sorry Advil).  I mean, really, who calls that a headache. 

When I get a headache I start by taking two Advil.  This is my hoping stage.  Sometimes this does actually take a headache away for me.  But it never stays gone.  When I realize the hoping stage isn't going to last long, I take two Tylenol.  All of this is extra strength by the way.  About an hour later, the pressure begins.  The pressure I think is a lot of the pain.  The pressure feels like my brain is going to swell and push my teeth out.  It feels like if I could pull out my back teeth, that I would have relief.  I know that isn't true but that's the best description I have.    

Now to begin to combat that, I begin taking pills.  Usually two X strength Tylenol and three migraine Advil every two hours for as long as the headache persists.  Usually about  three days.  I have Maxolt now so they work better and I don't have to take so much by the way of drugs.

So with all that being said, I have been given a new pill to take everyday but I am also very interested in how my diet affects my headaches.  I have spent most of my adult life trying to figure out what causes my headaches.  I have always approached it in the way that one specific food triggers a headache.  That's what everyone always says anyways.  So when I looked up migranes it always had a list of trigger foods.  However, when I took them all away I still had headaches.  Not exactly what I had in mind. 

So I have embarked on a new adventure.  It is called the ketogenic diet or ketosis diet.   Basically no carbs.  So I started it last Friday and have already lost four pounds which is pretty cool but not why I am doing this.  So I invite you along for the ride.  I will explain more of my new plan and if anyone wants to try along with me, post along and let me know how you are doing too.  I would love to have company for my adventure. 

Thanks for the reads.  You all amaze me every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment